Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Essential Cookware

Here are a few of the pots and pans that I use all the time. And I mean all the time. Some are newish, some are quite old and a little beat up. But they are all very useful. Of course, you don't have to have exactly the same thing. If you were to pare the essentials down to bare-bones, you'd need a stock pot, a stew pot, a saucepan, and a frying pan. I've included a couple more items that I love.


Stock pot 
Great for making soups, cooking pasta or steaming veggies.


Sauce pan
I acquired this pan in Japan in 1971. It is my very favorite sauce pan.
Dutch oven or casserole
You don't need this high-end enameled model which we've had forever. A cast iron or regular metal stew pot will work just fine.
Cast iron skillets
Heavy, well-used, seasoned, and indispensable, these pans are used nearly every day.
Large sauté pan
I've gotten rid of my teflon-lined pans, whose coatings were compromised by stirring with metal spoons and by hard use.
 




Bram
I cook with these wonderful ceramic pots both on the top of the stove and in the oven. On a stove top, they need to have a "simmer mat" under them and need to be kept on a moderate heat to prevent cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment